Jason Steed has extensive experience representing clients in both state and federal appellate courts across the nation, including the Supreme Court of Texas, the Supreme Court of California, and the Supreme Court of the United States. A former English professor and award-winning writer, Jason's brief writing and appellate advocacy have been praised from the bench by both state and federal judges. In one appeal, Jason’s veteran opposing counsel said Jason’s brief was “the best [he had] ever seen.” And one federal judge, in a written opinion, recognized Jason as “an excellent lawyer” who “provided vigorous, high quality legal representation.”
Jason represents clients in a wide variety of industries and has handled both civil and criminal appeals involving issues from a variety of practice areas, including labor & employment, intellectual property, commercial litigation, and civil & constitutional rights.
Before joining Bell Nunnally, Jason interned for Judge Paul Kelly on the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, and was a member of the Supreme Court and Appellate Practice group at a large international law firm.
Jason regularly publishes articles and gives presentations on the U.S. Supreme Court and on issues relevant to appellate practice—including an annual review of the Supreme Court’s major decisions, which he presents at the end of each term to numerous organizations. Contact Jason directly if you would like to schedule this presentation for your organization.
- Named “Appellate Lawyer of the Week” by Texas Lawyer (with co-counsel Jody Scheske), July 2, 2015.
- Winner of Texas State Bar’s short fiction contest (see story here), 2014.
- Two-time winner of Lawyerist.com’s short fiction contest (see stories here and here), 2014–2015.
- Named #1 of 100 “Top Appellate Twitter Feeds to Follow” by CircuitSplits.com, April 17, 2012 (@5thCircAppeals).
Activities & Memberships
- President, DFW Lawyers’ Chapter, American Constitution Society
- Editorial Board, The Federal Lawyer.
- Appellate Practice Committee, American Bar Association
- Appellate Practice Committee, Federal Bar Association
- Appellate Section, Dallas Bar Association
- 2015: “Legally Yours: Establishing and Leveraging Your Role as a ‘Friend of the Court,’” PRSA Strategist, October 13, 2015.
- 2015: “Your Chances On Appeal And How To Improve Them,” Today’s General Counsel, Aug/Sept 2015.
- 2014: “The Most Important Election Ever?” (on Supreme Court appointments & term limits), The Federal Lawyer, December 2014.
- 2014: “3 Tips for Taking a Case to the Supreme Court,” Lawyerist.com, November 19, 2014.
- 2014: “5 Tips for Writing Briefs for Tablets,” Lawyerist.com, September 22, 2014.
- 2014: “A Conservative Rewriting of the ‘Right to Work’” (on Supreme Court’s decision in Harris v. Quinn), Law360, September 2, 2014.
- 2013: “Supreme Court Roundup: 2012 To the Term Ahead,” Law360, November 2013.
- 2013: “Supreme Court Trends in Federal Preemption,” Law360, November 2013.
- 2013: “The Future of Federal Class Actions: Cases Currently Before the Supreme Court,” SideBAR, Federal Bar Association, Spring 2013.
- 2013: “Have Marriage, Will Travel,” Bloomberg’s U.S. Law Week, March 2013.
- 2012: “Please Bend Over: Supreme Court Approves Strip Searches for Minor Offenders,” Westlaw Journal: Class Actions, July 2012.
- 2011: “Strip-Searched for Failing to Pay a Speeding Ticket? Florence and the Fourth Amendment,” Westlaw Journal: Class Actions, December 2011.
- 2011: “Ascertainability as a Bar to Class Certification,” Appellate Advocate, Summer 2011.
- 2010: “Argument Recap: Determining Proper Remedies Under ERISA,” SCOTUSblog.com, December 1, 2010.
- 2015: Moderator, Federal Judicial Panel Discussion (with Judges Costa, Lynn, and Horan) at SMU Law School, November 17, 2015.
- 2015: “Dog Sniffs, Facebook Raps, Shredding Fish, and Sawed-off Shotguns: The Supreme Court’s Criminal Cases, 2014-2015,” to be presented at Dallas Bench Bar Conference, October 2015.
- 2015: “Pregnancies, Subsidies, Vacancies, and Raisins: A Review of the U.S. Supreme Court’s Business Decisions, 2014-2015,” presented to Prosper Chamber of Commerce, September 8, 2015.
- 2015: Review of U.S. Supreme Court’s 2014 Term, presented to numerous business & legal organizations, July-October 2015.
- 2015: Panel Member, “The U.S. Supreme Court: Impact of Recent Decisions,” Dallas Democratic Forum, July 9, 2015.
- 2014: Review of U.S. Supreme Court’s 2013 Term, presented to numerous business & legal organizations, August–November 2014.
- 2014: “Developments Under the Fourth Amendment,” presented at Federal Bar Association’s Annual Convention, September 5, 2014.
- 2014: “The Current ‘State’ of Same-Sex Marriage,” presented at George Mason University School of Law, March 24, 2014.
- 2014: Overview of U.S. Supreme Court’s 2013 Term, presented to the Arlington Bar Association, February 2014.
- 2013: ”The Current ‘State’ of Same-Sex Marriage,” presented to the Dallas Lawyers’ Chapter of the American Constitution Society, November 2013.
- 2013: “Developments in FCA/Qui Tam Litigation,” presented at the Federal Bar Association’s Annual Convention, September 2013.
- 2013: Review of U.S. Supreme Court’s 2012 Term, presented to the Waco-McLennan County Bar Association, September 2013.
- 2013: “The ‘State’ of Same-Sex Marriage,” presented to the American Constitution Society, Austin Lawyers’ Chapter, April 2013.
- 2013: “Dog Sniffs, DNA, and Drones: Developments Under the Fourth Amendment,” presented at the University of Texas School of Law (sponsored by the American Constitution Society), April 2013.
- 2012: Review of the Supreme Court’s 2011 Term, presented to the Austin Bar Association, September 2012.
- 2012: Review of the Supreme Court’s 2011 Term, presented to the Williamson County Bar Association, October 2012.