Senior associates Saba Syed and Brent Turman and associate Ira Perez are presenting the CLE “Legal Issues Impacting the Live Event and Entertainment Industries in the Wake of COVID-19” for the Dallas Bar Association Entertainment, Art & Sports Law Section.
April 16, 2020
12:00 – 1:00 PM
Senior associates Saba Syed and Brent Turman and associate Ira Perez will discuss the impact of COVID-19 on business owners in the event and entertainment industries. Topics will include SBA loans, the CARES Act, employment law considerations, event cancellation insurance, business interruption insurance, force majeure clauses, as well as additional potential issues outlined below.
Live Event Issues:
- Can I get out of an event contract if I am being forced to violate a Shelter In Place order?
- What are my obligations to provide a vendor service at a postponed date?
- To what extent do I need to cooperate with the other party to reschedule an event?
- What happens if the parties cannot reach a mutually agreeable rescheduling?
- Do I need to refund deposits for an event cancellation due to COVID-19?
Media Production, Distribution, and Exhibition Issues:
- Can I both operate my business and comply with county and state orders?
- What should I consider before laying off or furloughing employees?
- Can I re-negotiate contracts I previously signed?
- What does the work stoppage mean for distributors and exhibitors?
- What opportunities can clients take advantage of during the pandemic and after it ends?
The program will also provide an update on what to expect if you are currently in or anticipating litigation.
This has been approved for 1 hour CLE credit, including 0.25 hour of ethics credit.