When a business faces financial distress, it impacts more than just the bottom line. The personal and business relationships enjoyed by the company, sometimes for generations, are cast into peril. How a company handles these stressful events can make all the difference, whether tactfully winding down operations or positioning for strategic restructuring.
The options for financial restructuring or liquidating assets are highly technical and exceedingly complicated. Recovering money or assets owed from a debtor can be equally complex. The experienced attorneys of the Bell Nunnally Bankruptcy and Financial Restructuring practice team often collaborate with attorneys in cross-disciplinary practices—corporate, finance, real estate, employment, tax and litigation—to craft effective approaches that take into consideration our clients’ multifaceted goals.
We regularly represent secured and unsecured creditors, financial institutions, trustees, public entities, buyers and sellers of assets, lessors and lessees, investors and others in:
- Chapter 7 liquidations
- Chapter 11 reorganizations
- Out-of-court workouts and restructurings
- Loan workouts for both borrowers and lenders
- Investing in distressed assets and securities
- Asset purchases
- Prosecuting and defending avoidance actions, including preferences and fraudulent transfer claims
- Transactional and tax advice related to bankruptcy, out-of-court restructurings, and other creditors’ rights issues
- Litigating objections to discharge
- Appeals relating to bankruptcy proceedings
- Defense of litigation against directors and officers arising in bankruptcy proceedings
Experience Across Industries
With experience representing diverse clients ranging from agribusiness to financial services and telecommunications to hospitality, we understand the nuances specific to various industries and the ways different courses of action might impact their different stakeholders, including corporate leaders, boards of directors, shareholders, investors, employees, customers, suppliers and distributors, and other business partners. Whether working with a sophisticated financial expert, a public entity or a large employer of a distributed workforce, we build a team and a plan that speaks to each client’s individual needs.
Measured and Practical Approach
Combining our deep industry experience and multidisciplinary approach, we have the capacity to perform both transactional and adversarial work and apply scenario planning and cost-benefit analysis to craft customized solutions for each client. Our attorneys appear in state courts and federal district and bankruptcy courts, as well as courts of appeals, across the United States.